Tips for Planning a Funeral
Loss is complex, and when you're trying to plan a funeral service after you have lost a loved one, it can make the process that much more complicated when you're trying to navigate the feelings that can arise. In addition, if you are preplanning, you'll need to consider a few things, such as which of the funeral homes in Greece, NY, is the right fit for your situation. Taking the time to understand all the choices better regarding details will help you understand your budgeting needs, so here are a few tips to help you get started.
What Kind of Arrangements do you Choose?
Your first decision is going to be what kind of arrangements need to be made for the remains. With options like a traditional burial or cremation, they each offer different types of details that can be applied to the service, so we recommend doing some research, so you understand what they both require.
Your next decision will be to figure out the type of gathering you want to have. Just a few of the traditional options to choose from for the ceremony are:
- Graveside service
- Memorial service
- Ecofriendly option
- Scattering celebration
- Visitation or viewing (will this be private or public?)
- Reception or meal
- Celebration of life
- Traditional funeral
- Direct cremation or burial
Choosing the Details
The next things you will not consider based on the service you are choosing are the specific details around what you want included in the event. The details can make the difference in making the ceremony a more authentic and honorable event, so here are some suggestions:
- Choosing the right location and taking into consideration accessibility for others.
- Do you want this to be a catered event or turn it into a potluck so others can contribute?
- Would you like to include assistance or pallbearers?
- What kind of a eulogy would you like to have, or readings included?
- Would you like to create a video tribute?
- What kind of decorations would you like to have or possibly a theme?
- Are there any religious or cultural traditions to take into consideration for the event?
- If this is a traditional burial, are you going to be wanting a hearse procession?
A Trusted Source
You will need to consider a few other things, such as if you want this to be a private event or if it will be community-based for others who are not in the immediate family to attend. You'll also need to consider how payments will be made for the services, so make sure you have the funding in place before scheduling.
Farrell-Ryan Funeral Home is a locally owned and operated facility that prides itself on offering the highest quality customer service on the market. We work hard to provide a supportive and compassionate environment for all our clients and have a wide variety of services available. If you are looking at funeral homes in Greece, NY, give us a call today, and we will help you get started.